Keeping yourself hydrated under hot weather conditions is very important and becomes even more important when performing strenuous physical activity. Out here in the dunes, people can head out for a long hike or spend the day on the beach, and not realize they haven’t had enough water. Sometimes people don’t drink enough water because they prefer something with flavor, or it’s difficult for them to drink water when they aren’t feeling thirsty. Here are some tips to help you stay hydrated.
1. Drink Before You Feel Thirsty. If you feel thirsty you may already be dehydrated. Rather than drinking to quench your thirst, it is healthier to replenish fluids regularly, even when you don’t feel thirsty.
2. Drink Water NOT Sugary Drinks! Sugary drinks and soft drinks might feel thirst quenching, but they also contain excess calories and caffeine and offer zero nutritional benefit.
3. Keep a Water Bottle with You. Having a reusable water bottle handy is a good idea. Even if you don’t plan on doing any strenuous activity outdoors, having a water bottle on hand will allow you to drink regularly and before you feel thirsty.
4. Add Fresh Fruit or Fizz. Citrus fruits, such as lemons, limes, and oranges, are great water infusers. Cucumber and fresh mint are refreshing flavors as well. Adding fruit is a great way to add a little flavor to your water without adding too many calories. Add fruit to sparkling water to get the bubbles and fizz with flavor.
5. Have a Sports Drink During Vigorous Exercise. Running trails and beaches, biking, hiking and beach volleyball are all common summer activities in the dunes. Even swimming can cause the body to produce excessive sweat in high temperatures. With vigorous exercise a sport drink might be more useful than water since it can also replenish any nutrients and electrolytes lost in your sweat.
6. Eat Your Water. Try adding more fruits and vegetables that are high in water content to your meals and snacks on the days you plan on being outside in hot weather conditions. Check out our local Farmer’s Markets to stock up!